Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How about them apples

On a rare evening off with the children out of the house my wife and I ventured forth to spend a bit of quality time alone. As she had an upcoming social engagement and needed to grab a small gift we went to a local store that specializes in home décor ranging from large furniture to the more common knick knack. To say my wife and I don’t get an opportunity like this too often is an understatement. As a matter of fact my son pointed out that the last time he remembered the two of us being able to go to a movie was when he was a sophomore in high school. He’s now in his second year of college.

As we leisurely walked about the store I was fascinated by a good many things, some tangible, others less so. First there were the requisite husbands dutifully following their wives around while quietly praying for death after being asked their opinion of one china pattern or another. Then there was the twenty something well dressed professional man browsing the wine glasses most probably for a dalliance with a young lady he had planned for later in the evening. Poor bastard. Little does he realize that it’s such a dalliance that will land him in circumstances identical to the aforementioned muttering husbands in no time at all.

The most fascinating observation I made however is the time and care women will put in to looking for just that right accent for their home décor. Now it’s not that I don’t appreciate the care and pride my wife takes in decorating our house. But it occurs to me that if women spent just a fraction of the time and intense attention to detail that goes in to picking just the right tin lamp or country styled plaque with a clever saying perhaps the world might be an even better place.

On the other hand, maybe the world would be even better if Nancy Pelosi went out shopping for some knick knacks of her own. Maybe she’d like some nice large wooden apples.

No comments: