Tuesday, February 3, 2009

If cleanliness is next to Godliness.....

I visited hell last night. While unusual we occasionally have to travel some distance from our primary response area to back up other medic units when they are tied up on other assignments. Last night when we were in the furthest southern reaches of our area we were sent to a city one entire county away for a diabetic. Under the best of circumstances it would take us twenty minutes to reach the address where the BLS unit was awaiting our arrival.

We arrived at a nice little ranch home on a side street that was still sporting an Obama 08 sign on the lawn. Should have been my first clue I suppose as even after Bush won in 04 I removed his sign from my lawn the next day.

As we entered this palace I was alarmed at a crunching noise as I walked across the living room rug. I was concerned as I may have picked up some left over rock salt on my walk across the driveway and I did not want to be tracking anything in with me. As it turns out I would have been better off. At least a heavy coating of salt would have protected me from the vile collection of crumbs impregnating this carpet. I am not talking about the odd cracker crumb mind you but more pulverized carbohydrates than Aunt Jenny's meatloaf. Ordinarily I would have insisted that they secure the family dog in another room for our safety but the fat pug just lay in the corner stupefied from his failed efforts to cleanse the house of every errant morsel. Likely he was the one we should have done a dex stick on. He was probably in DKA.

I had planned to clean my garage when I went home in the morning. I went to bed instead knowing I could have moved these folks in and it would have been an improvement.

No comments: