Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sound Retreat!

Do you have the same list that I do? I am sure you do in some fashion. You know, the list of things you would really like to do if you did not have the responsibilities of job, family etc. One of the things on my list that has the most seniority was the desire to go on a retreat. Now, I am not you basic tambourine beating type of guy. Mine is more the quiet, contemplative approach to religion. But I have always felt that I could use a few days away from the daily grind for a bit of a recharge of the spiritual batteries. As providence would have it some weeks ago while walking in to Sunday Mass my Pastor told me to see him afterward as he had something for me. Little did I realize that I was about to be ambushed.

If you are "old school" like I am when a Priest asks you for a favor, no is not an option. So when faced with a brochure for an overnight retreat I immediately said yes and engaged in the great schedule shuffle to make it happen. How was it you ask?

Suffice to say I maintain my position that guitars and tambourines belong in Salvation Army Bands and Gypsy camps. I'll chalk this one up to experience and take it as a sign that I should not have "blown off" the idea of a retreat for so many years and begin my early search for next years retreat location. Trappist preserves anyone?

No comments: