Monday, September 28, 2009

Farewell Cas

Though it has been twenty five years I don't think I will ever forget the first day I walked in to roll call and became a member of F squad. There were five of us and I was the youngest and the rookie by at least twenty years. It was quite an array of characters. Today we lost another of the five originals with the passing of Cas.

Always a lot of fun and armed with a quick wit Cas was a good guy. Having received his GED courtesy of the US Marines he wasn't much in to formal education until his later years. In his fifties he returned to college and earned both a BS and MS in Criminal Justice. After his retirement he went on to be a substitute High School teacher for many years. I imagine many kids were the better for his work there.

He was also a champion grower of Jersey tomatoes. With his death today there are only two of our original squad left. RIP Cas. I know I will see you again. I just hope its not too soon.

No comments: