Saturday, May 30, 2009

Best foot forward?

I think it is fair to say that envy creeps its way in to every one's life at some point. No matter how much material wealth you gain in the course of your life you always want more. I guess it is human nature. Maybe you scrimped and saved for months and finally bought that 47 inch plasma TV you have been coveting. Then the next week you go to a friends house and he as a 53 inch. Things just get out of hand.

Sometimes people literally take matters in to their own hands and help themselves to other peoples possessions. Its a crappy thing to do. And when you hold a job as a public servant there is no room for thievery. It is the worst form of violating a trust. So when I found this on FoxNews.com today it really irritated me.

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — A former St. Lucie County firefighter who admitted taking a man's severed foot from an Interstate 95 crash scene last year has been sentenced to six months probation.

You have got to be kidding me. After twenty five years in law enforcement and over twenty in EMS I have seen more than my share of unsupervised valuables. I can tell you I have never even been tempted to pocket Grandma Sophie's diamond bracelet or a small stack of cash on some one's dresser. The thought never entered my mind. Similarly, I have seen my share of persons with body parts detached. Again I can say with conviction I never thought "hey that large interesting would make a good garden hose" or "maybe I could compost that pancreas".
Sometimes you wonder what motivates people. She said she wanted it to train her cadaver dog. My ass.

1 comment:

Nescro said...

So true. How does one get motivated to such a thing. You can only wonder. Those people need hobbies, or wait maybe that is their hobby. Sad