Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This has trouble written all over it

While like most cops in New Jersey I tend to look less than favorably at decisions that restrict police procedures I find that usually after my initial anger I can see the sense behind the decision. Case in point, vehicular pursuits. I can't rationalize putting innocent civilians in the way of potentially great harm to chase a stolen car. I found myself in the position of doing so more than a few times in the early part of my career and looking back the risk (to innocent life) versus the benefit (a property crime) just did not achieve the balance it should. That is largely the reason that I really like the initiative police on the west coast show when they execute a PIT maneuver. That way the risk to the populace and the cop is minimized and lets face it, who really cares about the offender.

While I know the cops in Chicago have their hands full I just don't get this one.

CHICAGO (CBS) ―The Chicago Police Department has instituted a major change in policy regarding the use of deadly force.

Effective next Monday, police officers will be able to fire their guns under circumstances where they previously could not.

The new policy, from police Supt. Jody Weis and confirmed by WBBM Newsradio 780 Wednesday morning, allows police officers to shoot at fleeing vehicles if the driver or passengers are suspected of committing a felony.

The rest is here.

No comments: